Thank you for your interest in the historical boats that Privateer Media represents. We work as the agent and marine coordinator for over six dozen period boats located in the eastern United States and Canada. If you wish to use any of the boats for your production project, please read the following:
1. Privateer Media is the managing agent for the boats you see on our website. We verify all inquiries to make sure the projects are legitimate and that there is a realistic budget and usage plan prior to our contacting the boat owners to check on availability.
2. Boat use fees are negotiable and typically include a daily rate and transportation costs.
3. A Privateer Media marine coordinator is required to accompany all boats on set. The cost for our service varies based on the complexity of the project and the number of boats being used.
4. Privateer Media does not give out the contact information for any boat until a signed contract is secured. We have a standard contract that our boat owners use, and we prepare them on behalf of our boat owners first, then forward them to the production company. We do this to protect the integrity of our clients and our business.
6. Hiring a historical boat is not like renting a modern boat. Most of the boats we represent do not have motors and rely on manpower to move them on the water. Logistical issues like tides, current, hazards, launch facilities, crew strength and weather are all considerations we must address when using one of our boats. And while many people are skilled at managing modern power boats, the use of historical boats is quite different and requires a specialized skill set that we are uniquely qualified to provide.
7. Our boat owners do not work for free. Several times a year we receive requests from film students and low budget film producers who want to use a boat in a production but don't have the money to hire one. There are real costs involved with the maintenance, insurance and transportation of the boats, and it typically isn't in the boat owners' best interest to work without getting paid.
If you wish to discuss using any of the boats we represent, please email us or call (610) 972-9981 Monday through Friday 9:00am to 5:00pm EST.